Park Güell: A beautiful place to visit and 5 things you should not miss there!
Gaudi’s Park Güell is a very well-known tourist attraction in Barcelona. It is one of the most famous places to visit and has architectural elements made by the architect Antonio Gaudí. The park was inaugurated in 1922 and in 1984 it was even declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
This park looks like out of a fairy tale, with its curious shapes and bold combinations of colors, mixed with the vegetation. In every corner, you can see the passion the architect has for the forms of nature. The plan was to have a human intervention in the forest: Snails, mushrooms, leaves, flowers, trunks or elephants appear constantly in the mosaics. With an extension of more than 17 hectares, the Park Güell is covered with wavy forms, columns with aspect of trees, animal figures and geometric shapes. Most of the surfaces are decorated with mosaics made from colored ceramic chips.
In the grounds of the park you can find the Gaudí House Museum, where he lived between 1906 and 1925 and today a collection of special works by the architect is exhibited.
We recommend 5 things to do inside the park:
1. A must do is to take a picture with the trencadís dragon. It is an icon of the city that is right at the entrance of the park, you will see that each person who visits the park takes a picture with it.
2. Visit the theater square, also known as the Greek Theater. Today, instead of shows, it’s time to escape from souvenir sellers while we enjoy this artifice dug in the rock that is held above the Hypostyle Hall.
3. Purchase the early entrance: The park has a limited capacity of 400 people, in times with a lot of tourist traffic it is likely that tickets may be sold out. On the website they are also available and it is a good way to ensure the visit as they can be purchased up to 3 months in advance. Of course, beyond all this, the Park Güell is a perfect place for a long visit to discover small details that bring us closer to Gaudí and understand the concept of modernism a bit better.
4. See the Gardens of “Austria in Flower”: It is a beautiful spot and offers spectacular views of the park.
5. Park Güell Natural Viewpoint: One of the most beautiful in the city! You can see a 360 degree panorama of Barcelona!
Carrer d’Olot, 3. North of the district of Gracia.
Metro: Lesseps, line L3. Bus: lines H6, 32, 24 and 92. Tourist bus red line.
Every day from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.